Thursday, April 19, 2012

Stop Being Fat! Friday

I've always struggled with my weight. I have done many fad diets over the years and my weight has gone up and down numerous times. Since having my two babes I was at the highest weight of my life and I was miserable. I started going to Zumba and fell in love. I dropped about 25 lbs without changing much to my diet, I just went to Zumba 2-3 times a week. I then hit a plateau and realized that I needed to do more than just exercise. My main goal is to get healthy. For myself and for my kids.

About a month and a half ago my cousin started a weight loss challenge. My husband and I both joined and really decided to get our butts in gear. We signed up for the gym and got started on MyFitnessPal.  So far things are going great. I have lost another 23 pounds and the hubs has lost 19. We're not doing anything crazy. I want to make healthy changes that I will be able to live with. I love cooking and baking and still indulge once in a while. But it's not everyday and I just try to work out extra hard that day. 

I am going to start posting about what works for me and what doesn't. And I hope by doing so you guys will help me stay on track. In no way am I saying I am a pro at this stuff. Obviously. If I was I wouldn't look the way I do. I am simply trying to be better. But I am human. I make mistakes. I love Diet Coke and although I've cut back, it's my 'treat' most days, so don't give me any crap about it okay? If I want a cookie I might just eat one, but now I know how many calories its taking up out of my daily allowance. I have good days and bad days and I'm just hoping to have more good than bad. 

Today I thought I'd post about my new obsession: Spinach Fruit Smoothies. These things are packed with vitamins and nutrients. Spinach is extremely rich in antioxidants, vitamin Avitamin Cvitamin Evitamin Kmagnesiummanganesefolatebetaineironvitamin B2calciumpotassiumvitamin B6folic acidcopperproteinphosphoruszincniacinselenium and omega-3 fatty acids. Yeah spinach rocks. Then you add in the fruit and if you can believe it, it just gets better and better. You can use any type of fruit you like to cover up add to the spinach. I also like to add some Fresca. I love the citrus peachy flavor and its zero calories. (but these are great without the soda as well)  As far as fruit, I use whatever I have on hand. This week I have been making them like this. 

1/3 cup of blueberries
1/3 cup of raspberries
1/3 cup of blackberries
3/4 cup pineapple
2 cups (?)  of spinach (I just grab a big bunch and stuff it in)
2 tbsp Chia Seeds
1 can of fresca (or however much you want to get your desired thickness.)
Handful of ice

*Blend and enjoy*



Have you tried Chia seeds? (Yes they are the Cha Cha Cha Chia seeds! From the Chia pets!)  I was recently introduced to them and on my last trip to Good Earth I stocked up on them. They are loaded with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. One ounce of them has 4 grams of protein. They also are packed with phosphorusmanganesecalciumpotassium and sodium. I use them like I use flax seed. I use them in my smoothies and even sprinkled on top of my cereal.

This recipe makes about three 12 oz smoothies. If you add the Chia Seeds each smoothie is just 66 calories! If you don't add the seeds then each serving is only 44 calories! I think these are delicious. And the hubs and they kids are sold. They drink theirs right up and the babes are constantly asking 'moothies! please momma".
Give these a try. We also love them with banana's, peaches, strawberries and oranges. 

What works for you when dieting? What's your 'go to' snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment